During the previous week I spent my time in three areas.
1) I tried to turn the “dots” that were recognized as the road into an actual highlighting of the road in the image. I did this by using the square used to detect space in the image into “the road” instead of only marking the center pixel. i.e. after marking each road pixel the program goes back through and for any pixel marked as the road it marks the space around the pixel as the road.
2) 640×480: I figured out how to make my camera capture images at 640×480 instead of at 320×240. Unfortunately when testing this, processing one image took 3 full seconds. This prompted me to investigate how long it was taking to process a 320×240 image.
3) Speed: I added timing information to the algorithm and found out that processing the 320×240 image was taking about 700ms – far too long. I sped it up by separating out various parts of the algorithm, like converting the image to black and white. I further sped things up by caching the addition of rows in the density/road/pixel detection algorithm, which really just adds the total number of pixels in an area of the pixels.
Next Week: I had planned on working on the map data transformation to a perspective view, but Dr. Choi has asked me to work on the edge detection algorithm so that’s what I’ll do.